An updated list of who the Texans have interviewed for HC/OC
Who have the Houston Texans interviewed for their head coach opening?
The Houston Texans were the last to fire their head coach from 2021 and now are searching for a new coach to start the proper rebuild that David Culley never got to do. Getting the right coach this time around is an important step, not only for the organization but the fans as well.
The fans of the Houston Texans have been through arguably the roughest stretch since the 2020 offseason. But, without inputting what Raiders fans have had to experience lately, the Texans are up there.
This article will be updated whenever the Texans interview a candidate for either head coach or the offensive coordinator openings.
Here’s the list of who the Houston Texans have interviewed for their HC job
- Brian Flores
- The former Miami Dolphins head coach who was reportedly a key cog in the Deshaun Watson to Miami rumors was the Texans’ first candidate that they interviewed. Rightfully so, Flores did a lot with a bad roster and had Miami in a win-and-get-in situation in 2020.
- UPDATE: January 31st- Houston hosted Brian Flores for his first in-person interview.
- UPDATE 2/4: Flores is now a finalist for the head coaching job.
- Hines Ward
- For some reason, this was a controversial interview that many outside fanbases and analysts ripped the Houston Texans for doing. This was also a day before Jerod Mayo (who many said should’ve been interviewed instead) got historically obliterated by the Buffalo Bills in the wildcard round.
- This isn’t a bad interview, and it falls under the category of what Watson wanted last year. A young, diverse head coach who had playing experience and can relate to the players. Ward won Super Bowls XL and XLIII with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a wide receiver.
- Joe Lombardi
- Lombardi has worked with Drew Brees in New Orleans for most of his NFL career and is an Air Force Veteran (four years of active duty).
- Lombardi also just finished his first year as the Los Angeles Chargers offensive coordinator.
- Jonathon Gannon
- Another first-year coordinator candidate, Gannon spent this past season with the Philadelphia Eagles. Before that, Gannon elevated the Indianapolis Colts defense to sixth in interceptions and has also worked in Minnesota, Atlanta, and St.Louis.
- Had a second interview with the Texans
- UPDATE 2/4: Gannon is now a finalist for the head coaching job.
- UPDATE 2/6: Gannon is out as a finalist
- Kevin O’Connell
- The L.A. Rams’ offensive Coordinator since 2020, but has been in the NFL for the good part of the last decade.
- Former New England Patriots quarterback (of course, right?)
- UPDATE:Had first interview with Texans on January 31st
- Josh McCown
- This is the second year in a row that Houston has given McCown an interview. Ian Rapoport says that McCown is “a name to watch” in the head coaching search.
- Had a second interview with Texans
- UPDATE 2/4: McCown is now a finalist for the head coaching job.
- UPDATE 2/6: McCown is removed from the finalist position and HC candidacy.
- Lovie Smith
- 2/6: Mark this as a surprise. The Houston Texans own defensive coordinator is garnering considerable interest to become Houston’s next head coach.
Who have the Houston Texans interviewed for the offensive coordinator job?
There have been no candidates interviewed at this time. Check back often to see this page updated with the latest interviews!