Let’s be honest, the Houston Texans don’t have enough money left under the salary cap.
Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith had some interesting things to say about their salary cap situation while he spoke with reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday.
More from Toro Times
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
- There is just one way the Texans can lose the No. 1 pick
The Texans can really do whatever they want? That’s a lie. if that was the case they would have re-signed A.J. Bouye already.
This is a case of Smith trying to make the fans and media feel good about the team going forward as they get ready to lose one of the top corners in the league in Bouye.
Smith then went on to contradict himself by saying they can’t keep every good young player.
So let’s be honest, the Texans don’t have enough money to do whatever they want.
It would have been better for Smith to say they’re in good shape when it comes to how much money they have left and that they have enough money to make the moves they need to make.
That’s better than lying and saying, “We will be able to do whatever we want to do.”
At the end of the day, once the Texans start re-signing their own free agents like Shane Lechler, John Simon and Ryan Griffen, they won’t have much money left over.