Houston Texans Morning Roundup (4/14): NFL Draft talk
Jan 1, 2014; Glendale, AZ, USA; Central Florida Knights quarterback Blake Bortles (5) against the Baylor Bears during the Fiesta Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium. Central Florida defeated Baylor 52-42. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Were are 24 days until the 2014 NFL Draft, but when reading a blog post from the Houston Chronicle’s Ultimate Texans Blog got me thinking a bit about “what if” the Houston Texans do make the wrong decision with the No. 1 overall selection?
"“When you’re an in-need organization such as the Texans, possessing the No. 1 pick and needing a franchise quarterback, history has proved that missing bad at No. 1 or in the top few selections can keep a team in free fall and bring a regime to its knees.”"
We all know there is no guarantee “franchise” quarterback in this draft like in previous years where Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning were “locks” to have success in the NFL.
The Top Three QBs in this draft are Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles and Johnny Manziel, and all have the potential to be the No. 1 overall selection come May 8.
One of them or a couple of them could fall in the draft, possibly in the second round, because much better QBs than these three have dropped in the opening round or have missed it altogether in past drafts.
The more I think about it, the more I believe the Texans might be better of just waiting for a QB, and see who is available at the start of the second round, or make a trade late in the first round if there is a QB still remaining whom they really love.
It is an interesting place for the Texans to be in.
They know, we know and all NFL fans know how important this decision can be for a franchise for not just the 2014 season, but for future seasons to come. It is tough to overcome a bust, especially at No. 1 overall, in the NFL Draft.
The next 24 days will be interesting to say the least.
In other Texans news:
• ESPN.com has an article by Tania Ganguli about how Texans punter Shane Lechler isn’t a fan of “moving the extra point.”
• Brian T. Smith if the Houston Chronicle wrote about how “superstardom could await” Johnny Manziel.
• Here is an article from CSN Houston about how Whitney Mercilus talking about learning a new defense this offseason with the Texans as Romer Crennel is now the defensive coordinator.
• In this NFL.com article it says Arian Foster will take part in the Texans’ OTAs.
• Here is a 4th round draft by FanSided’s NFL Mocks.
• ICYMI: The Toro Times posted a seven round mock draft for the Houston Texans using the fanspeak.com simulator, with rankings from Walter Football.
Follow the Toro Times on Twitter at @Texans_TT and like us on Facebook by clicking here.
Subscribe to the Fansided Toro Times Daily Newsletter for free by clicking here