The third potential target for the Houston Texans: Derek Stingley Jr
Wouldnt it be nice for the Houston Texans to have a lockdown cornerback? Derek Stingley Jr. is that guy. Before his injury that cut his 2021 season short, Stingley Jr. was talked about as possibly being the best prospect in this entire draft.
Stingley Jr. is a generational talent with a track record and awards to prove it. According to the LSU team website, Stingley Jr. has been voted onto the following lists:
- 2020 First Team All-America (AFCA)
- 2020 First Team All-SEC (AP, Coaches)
- 2019 Consensus All-American
- 2019 First-Team All-American (AFCA, AP, Athletic, CBS, ESPN, SI, Sporting News, USA Today)
- 2019 Second Team All-American (Walter Camp, FWAA
- 2019 SEC Newcomer of the Year (AP, unanimous)
- 2019 First Team All-SEC (AP)
- 2019 Second Team All-SEC (Coaches)
- 2019 SEC All-Freshman Team
- 2019 SEC Freshman of the Week (vs. Florida)
- Along with many other accolades in his 2 plus seasons at LSU.
Provided he’s healthy following foot surgery, Stingley Jr. is clearly the best corner in this draft a definite position of need for Houston. It’s worth noting that Caserio has been rumored to be enamored with Stingley Jr.
Teams do not throw Stingley’s direction which would be a massive upgrade for this Texans defense. The secondary is the worst position group on this team, hands down. Adding a player like Stingley would instantly improve the entire Texans defense going into the 2022 NFL season.