The Texans’ starting quarterback job is still Tom Savage’s to lose.
No matter how good quarterback Tom Savage has looked this offseason, many people still believe that rookie Deshaun Watson will be the Texans’ week one starter because of everything that Houston gave up in order to move up and draft him.
It doesn’t sound like that’s the case.
Former Dallas Cowboys Vice President of Player Personnel and current NFL Network analyst Gil Brandt is hearing that Savage is the favorite to be the Texans’ starting quarterback heading into training camp.
Brandt posted the following on Twitter:
"Hearing good things about progress Tom Savage has made this offseason, to point where he goes into TC as clear favorite to win Texans QB job"
After the Texans drafted Watson I thought he would start right away, but now I don’t see that happening until possibly after week eight.
More from Toro Times
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
- There is just one way the Texans can lose the No. 1 pick
As long as Savage doesn’t turn the football over and stays healthy, the starting job is his.
The good news is that this means that Watson won’t be thrown to the wolves right away and will have time to develop the right way.
The best case scenario for the Texans would be for both Watson and Savage to develop into viable NFL starters. In that case the Texans could trade one of them.