Bill Belichick praises Wes Welker after being hired by Texans
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick praised Wes Welker after being hired by the Houston Texans as an assistant.
While talking to the media at the Super Bowl on Wednesday, Belichick was asked about Welker after the Texans hired him as an offensive and special teams assistant this week.
“He was actually our backup kicker,” Belichick said, via the Houston Chronicle. “He kicked in a game when we had an injury, but again Wes is a football guy. Whatever we asked him to do, block, run routes, return kicks, help us out in any way possible, Wes, was a good football player.
More from Toro Times
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
Sounds like Welker has what it takes mentally to be a good coach.
“He has a good football mind. Works extremely hard. Very instinctive player. He always seemed to do the right thing — speed up, slow down, go under a linebacker, go over him, stop, pull up.”
Belichick is confident that Welker will be a good coach for the Texans.
“He just had a great feel for where the quarterback wanted to throw him the ball, where he should be in the passing game relative to where other people were,” Belichick said. “I’m sure coach O’Brien recognized that as well from coaching him, and I’m sure he’ll do a great job in whatever they ask him to do.”