Top Five Texans vs. Titans Games
By Josh McSwain
3. January 1, 2012: Titans 23, Texans 22
Houston had already clinched their first division title so this week 17 game meant very little to them. But the Titans still had a wild card spot hanging in the balance.
More from Toro Times
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
In the first quarter, Ben Tate ran for a four yard touchdown to open the scoring and put the Texans up 7-0. The Titans would rebound in the second quarter with two field goals from Rob Bironas and a touchdown from Matt Hasselbeck to Donnie Avery to put the Titans up 13-10 going into halftime.
In the third quarter the teams traded field goals and then on the first play of the fourth quarter Neil Rackers tied it up with a 22 yarder to make it 16 each. With less than five minutes to go Hasselbeck hooked up with Nate Washington to give the Titans a 23-16 lead. But with just 14 seconds left Jake Delhomme hit Bryant Johnson (yes, both of them played for the Texans) to bring them within one. But on the extra point attempt the snap was high and the Texans were not able to tie the game up. Still, it did not cost them anything as they rolled into the playoffs as the number three seed.