As we quickly approach the start of training camp, we break down the Houston Texans roster by position, this time with the inside linebackers
With the draft in the rearview mirror and mini-camps getting under way, the 2016 NFL season feels closer than ever. For fans of the Houston Texans, there’s plenty of reason to be excited about the start of this coming season.
To help us all get in the spirit, we will begin to break down the 2016 version of your Texans, and today the inside linebackers get their turn in the spotlight.
More from Toro Times
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
The playmakers in the middle of the field for the Texans, the interior linebackers in a 3-4 defense need to be versatile and tough. They are tasked with anything from stuffing the run to rushing the passer. Of course, they also have to be able to drop into coverage and run with tight ends, running backs and the occasional slot receiver.
Having the right guys in this position can make, or break a defense that operates with four linebackers. The Texans know this all too well, thanks to a history of injuries at this position.
Finally the team is healthy in this spot and we will take a look at how the 2016 Texans look at this incredibly vital position, beginning with the biggest name in the bunch.
Next: The veteran