After releasing veteran wide recevier Andre Johnson earlier this offseason, the Houston Texans have been on the lookout for his possible replacement in free agency. That player could be visiting the Texans today as free agent wide out Cecil Shorts III is scheduled to meet with Houston on Monday.
For the past three seasons, Shorts has been the Jacksonville Jaguars most consistent wide recevier. But the 27-year old has struggled with injuries missing a total of eight games in the last three seasons.
More from Toro Times
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
Last year, Shorts caught 53 passes on 110 targets for 557 yards and one score. Pro Football Focus ranked him the 204th best recevier in the NFL in 2014.
Despite the poor numbers, Shorts is currently considered one of the best wide receivers still available in free agency. In fact, following a down year his price tag should be very reasonable.
With the upcoming NFL Draft’s receiver class projected to be almost as good as last year’s, the Texans could decide to address their recevier needs during April’s draft instead. But signing a veteran like Shorts would add some much needed depth to Houston’s depth chart.