Sep 7, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt (99) chases Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III (10) during the game at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
What a day Sunday was for the Houston Texans as they had the high of snapping a 14-game regular season losing streak with their 17-6 win over the Washington Redskins.
Sep 7, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Texans cheerleader performs during the game against the Washington Redskins at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
That was the high, then there was the low of the news that No. 1 overall draft pick Jadeveon Clowney will miss 4-6 weeks with a a knee injury of a torn meniscus.
This, I believe, is a big blow, but one the Texans can hopefully battle through this for the next six weeks as they still have a very tough front seven on their defense that can still cause havoc up front.
The Texans though can ill-afford any more injuries to their defense while Clowney is out.
As for the rest of the game on Sunday, the offense had the one big play where DeAndre Hopkins showed his athleticism with a 76-yard touchdown reception, and Arian Foster showed, at least for a week, he’s healthy by rushing the ball 27 times for 103 yards.
A plus on the defense was the player of J.J. Watt. Watt finished with three total tackles, one sack and one pass deflected. A good day for the fourth-year pro.
In all, besides the injury to Clowney, and the lack of offense scoring for the Texans (one TD), it was a good day for Houston. It was a day they can build off of as they prepare to face the Oakland Raiders (0-1) on Sunday, Sept. 14 in Oakland.
More from Houston Texans News
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
- There is just one way the Texans can lose the No. 1 pick
In other Texans news:
• Here is a quick recap of the Texans’ win by House of Houston.
• Here are 10 things to like about the Texans’ win by the Ultimate Texans site.
• CSN Houston wrote about the TD by Alfred Blue on the punt block for six points.
• Here are the FanSided NFL Power Rankings following the Thursday and Sunday games.
• J.J. Watt Googled “What do rich people buy” after signing his $100 million contract as written in this CBS Sports article.