Aug 16, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Texans safety D.J. Swearinger (36) before the game against the Atlanta Falcons at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
On Friday it was official that Swearinger would not be fined (he said he wasn’t fined), though his hit did cause a concussion to Welker in the game. It was Welker’s third concussion in nine months.
In an article on ESPN.com is said of the hit:
"“The safety made the hit with his shoulder but wound up colliding with Welker’s head. The hit caused Welker’s third concussion in nine months and he immediately left the game.”"
Yes, it was an aggressive hit, and I feel bad for Welker for getting his third concussion in nine months, but the hit was a clean hit as he led with his shoulder, and there was no helmet-to-helmet contact.
Swearinger is an aggressive player, and entering just his second season, I’m really interested in seeing how his play continues to grow with the Texans and under new defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel.
More from Houston Texans News
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
In other Texans news:
• Here is a preseason Game 4 report card by House of Houston when the Texans lost to the San Francisco 49ers.
• The Ultimate Texans site wrote Louis Nix “has a long way to go.”
• Here is the 53-man roster projection by CSN Houston.