Jun 17, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Texans running back Andre Brown (33) goes through drills during mini camp at Houston Methodist Training Center. Mandatory Credit: Andrew Richardson-USA TODAY Sports
ESPN.com posted what they felt were the remaining questions for the Houston Texans in their offseason wrap-up series of articles. One of the questions that I would like to discuss is the following one: “Who will back up Arian Foster?”
Here was what ESPN Texans reporter Tania Ganguli wrote:
"“I think this will come down to Andre Brown and Alfred Blue. Brown has an edge on starting experience. Blue has an edge on youth and lack of mileage. Evaluating the status of the running game requires seeing the backs and the linemen blocking for them in pads.”"
I tend to agree with Ganguli on this one, and this is a very important position for the Texans this season, especially with the loss of Ben Tate to free agency.
Brown will be a serviceable backup for the Texans. Last season in eight games, he rushed for 492 yards on 139 carries for three touchdowns. He has the abilities to mimic the role Tate played last season, but health is an issue for Brown as well.
With Blue, there are a lot of unknowns for the ’14 sixth-round selection (Pick No. 181) because he has yet to take a snap in an NFL regular-season game.
At LSU last season, he carried the ball 71 times for 343 yards and one touchdown. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry.
Like the backup QB battle in training camp, I believe the backup running back position will be just as tough, plus I’m really anxious to see just who is ready to be second running back on the roster, especially with recent health issues of Foster, who is coming off back surgery.
More from Houston Texans News
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
In other Texans news:
• Here is an NFL Mocks article on rookie QBs and which ones will start.
• NFL SpinZone wrote who were the most valuable non-QBs for each team.
Tweet of the Day