Houston Texans Roundup: A look at the AFC South
Dec 15, 2013; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Houston Texans quarterback Case Keenum (7) and Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck (12) shake hands after the game at Lucas Oil Stadium. The Colts won 25-3. Mandatory Credit: Pat Lovell-USA TODAY Sports
In 2013 the AFC South was a bit of a letdown from an overall division perspective because just one team had a winning record, and the other three teams played some of the worst football the NFL had to offer last season.
The Indianapolis Colts won the division with an overall record of 11-5, while the rest of the division combined for 13 wins and 35 losses. In second place was the Tennessee Titans at 7-9, followed by the Jacksonville Jaguars at 4-12 and the Houston Texans were 2-14.
This year the division could be a little better, but it won’t be the best division in the NFL, or the AFC, this upcoming season.
Looking at what the teams have done this offseason, the Colts are still the favorites to repeat as champions for the fact they still have Andrew Luck at quarterback, and he makes everyone else on that team that much better.
On NFL.com in late June Chris Wesseling wrote about how the Colts see running back Trent Richardson as a 3-down player. The Colts traded their ’14 first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns for Richardson last season.
In the NFL.com article it says of Richardson:
"“Armed with a better handle on Pep Hamilton’s playbook, Richardson is relying more on his instincts rather than over-thinking as he approaches the line of scrimmage. Anything that limits Richardson’s ponderous hesitation is an excellent sign.”"
It will be exciting to watch this season when the Texans defense has the opportunity to face the Colts in what will be a game decided between the matchup of the Texans defense and the Colts’ offense.
To win the division teams have to play better than the Colts in ’14 … it is that simple.
More from Houston Texans News
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
In other AFC South news:
• ESPN.com wrote about Jaguars running back Toby Gerhart and what his football influences are.
• Bleacher Report writes as to why the Jaguars will be the biggest turnaround story if ’14.
• Pro Football Focus broke down the roster of the Titans, as reviewed by ESPN.com.
• Pete Prisco of CBS Sports ranked his Top 100 players in the NFL.
• ESPN.com also projected the Colts’ starting lineup.
Tweet of the Day