Houston Texans Roundup: There needs to be a QB competition
Dec 5, 2013; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Houston Texans quarterback Case Keenum (7) throws a pass in the first quarter against the Jacksonville Jaguars at EverBank Field. Mandatory Credit: Phil Sears-USA TODAY Sports
Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t the long-term answer for the Houston Texans, we all know that. With that said, that is why after thinking about this for a little bit I’ve turned the corner and feel that Bill O’Brien needs to give Case Keenum a real shot at being the starting quarterback of the Texans during training camp.
It only makes the most sense, especially because competition could not only maybe bring out what best is left in Fitzpatrick, but maybe it will get Keenum to that “next level” as an NFL QB, leaving no doubt Keenum is “than man” in Houston.
Keenum started eight games last season with the Texans in place of Matt Schaub. Keenum passed for 1,760 yards and nine touchdowns. Fitzpatrick started 11 games for the Tennessee Titans, passing for 2,454 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Dec 29, 2013; Nashville, TN, USA; Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (4) passes against the Houston Texans during the second half at LP Field. The Titans beat the Texans 16-10. Mandatory Credit: Don McPeak-USA TODAY Sports
This could have been a fun QB competition to keep track of during training camp.
I don’t believe any competition is going to happen since O’Brien named Fitzpatrick the starter during mini camp.
Even if I don’t believe Keenum is the next “superstar” in the NFL, I believe he deserves the opportunity to prove he is the best QB on the Texans roster this season, and work towards being a top QB int he NFL during in-game situations, not on the bench.
Fitzpatrick got the nod as the starter because he is the “safe” veteran choice. I’m always a fan of competition, and would have like to seen how given the same amount of work who earned the starting job for the Texans this offseason.
Maybe being named the backup QB will eventually make Keenum a better QB. Maybe he’ll learn something from the veteran Fitzpatrick, but either way you look at it he deserved the chance to earn the starting QB job.
More from Houston Texans News
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
In other Texans news:
• Here is a video on the Texans official site of Andre Johnson being ranked the 21st best player in the NFL.
• ESPN.com writes Jadeveon Clowney played injured at South Carolina.
• Justin Tuggle is transforming into a linebacker writes CSN Houston.
Tweet of the Day