Houston Texans Roundup (5/12): Texans one of most improved teams following draft
The 2014 NFL Draft is over, undrafted free agents have been signed, and we all miss football.
Those are my first football thoughts on this Monday morning as we all finally start recovering from what was a very long weekend of football stats and highlights.
The Texans added 33 new names for us to get to know, all the way from Jadeveon Clowney being drafted No. 1 overall to players who who were signed off the rookie free agent wavier wire.
Time to recover from a long weekend of football highlights and stats
All of this players will have a shot to make the team, some with an easier road than others, but the point is …. all of them have that shot and it will be fun to see if the Texans have another Arian Foster in the group of undrafted free agents this season.
If you didn’t get a chance, here is a list of the undrafted rookie free agents the Texans signed over the weekend. Click here to see who they are.
Speaking of the new players and the draft, ESPN draft expert Todd McShay says the Texans are on of the most improved teams in the draft, as per his ESPN Insider article.
McShay wrote for ESPN Insider:
"“The Texans want to be a physical football team, and that was evident with several of the team’s picks … If anyone can take fourth-round quarterback Tom Savage‘s raw talent and mold him into a successful NFL quarterback, it’s coach Bill O’Brien.”"
I have to agree with McShay as the Texans are already a team that is improved, and I’m curious as to how all of this new talent will mesh with the current players on the roster, especially the defensive line.
More from Houston Texans News
- Houston Texans: Can Sean Payton really be the next head coach?
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
Now we just have to wait and find out.
In other Texans news:
• Here is a draft wrap-up from ESPN Texans reporter Tania Ganguli.
• John McClain said the Texans deserve ‘kudos’ for their solid draft, as written in the Houston Chronicle.
• CSN Houston writes how No. 1 overall selection is a “special person.”
• In just a general story on football in Texas, this was the first draft since 1937 that no player from the University of Texas was drafted in the entire NFL Draft.
• ICYMI: Mel Kiper graded the Texans’ draft and we wrote about it.
Follow the Toro Times on Twitter at @Texans_TT and like us on Facebook by clicking here.
Subscribe to the FanSided Toro Times Daily Newsletter for free by clicking here.