Houston Texans Roundup: Is Derek Carr the next Texans QB?
Nov 29, 2013; San Jose, CA, USA; Fresno State Bulldogs quarterback Derek Carr (4) throws a pass against the San Jose State Spartans in the third quarter at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Bulldogs 62-52. Mandatory Credit: Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports
The Houston Texans were the winner of the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft. They, in my opinion, go the best player in the entire draft when they selected defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.
The Texans may have missed out on quarterbacks Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater, but they have possibly the best quarterback of them all just waiting there with the No. 33 overall selection (the first pick of the second round) in Fresno State’s Derek Carr.
If you get a chance, read this pre-draft feature in the Carr brothers from ESPN The Magazine.
Why not take him? He seems to have his head on straight, he’s already settled with his family life and he’s a pretty good football player. He’s what the Texans need under center, and I consider it a gift at No. 33 overall if they Texans land him.
Or …. the Texans might be able to trade a third round choice for New England Patriots quarterback Ryan Mallett, who I was big on during his draft a few years ago. He’s just been sitting on the bench for the past three seasons, hopefully being a sponge … soaking up information from Tom Brady and Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.
Why not take Derek Carr?
I would have no problem with either of the potential moves.
What do you want the Texans to do on this Friday, Day Two of the 2014 NFL Draft?
More from Houston Texans News
- Houston Texans Draft: Michael Mayer should be a no doubter at pick 12
- Houston Texans already telling fans the Davis Mills era is over
- Houston Texans have hand forced, waste no time in firing Lovie Smith
- Houston Texans: Pros and Cons of keeping Head Coach Lovie Smith
- There is just one way the Texans can lose the No. 1 pick
It is going to be fun to see how it all plays out.
In other Texans news:
• House of Houston (of FanSided) writes about how Clowney will be an outside linebacker with the Texans.
• In this Ultimate Texans article, they write about how the Texans still have a lot to do.
• ESPN.com writes about how the Texans still need a QB.
• Clowney wants to learn from J.J. Watt as reported by CSN Houston.
• Here is the Ultimate Texans coverage of the Texans selecting Clowney No. 1 overall.
Follow the Toro Times on Twitter at @Texans_TT and like us on Facebook by clicking here.
Subscribe to the FanSided Toro Times Daily Newsletter for free by clicking here