Texans Lose Connor Barwin to Eagles
Another one bites the dust.
Oct 9, 2011; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Texans linebacker Connor Barwin (98) against the Oakland Raiders in the second quarter at Reliant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports
It was probably always going to happen, but Connor Barwin has agreed to terms with the Philadelphia Eagles – sending him east on a six year deal worth $36 million.
The Eagles pick up Barwin relatively cheap on their own right, but he says he will miss Houston, and in particular Wade Phillips.
“I could go on for 10 minutes about things I’m going to miss about being here, but at the same time… I’m sure they have plenty of incredible things that I’m going to enjoy in Philly” Barwin told Tania Ganguli of the Houston Chronicle.
“I will seriously miss playing for Wade Phillips. That was incredible.”
As far as the money goes for Barwin, $36 million for six seasons is a pretty good days work. He now heads over to Philly to team up with Chip Kelly and the Eagles new 3-4 defense, and can have a shot at rushing the NFC East’s top quarterbacks twice a year. The Texans, they wait and see if Whitney Mercilus – a first round pick in 2012 – can fill in where Barwin left off.
Houston is yet to sign any free agents so far as day three wraps up. Rick Smith has lost two key players the Texans were hoping to keep in Glover Quin and now Barwin, making the signing of Ed Reed all the more important. Let’s see what develops on Friday.
Follow Ryan Cook on Twitter.