The Folks at ProFootballTalk.com have provided a nice run down of what has been learned after a second set of preseason games on day número dos.
Dolphins 28, Falcons 23
1. Julio Jones showed why the Falcons gave up all those picks to get him, showing great burst on three touches for 55 yards.
2. Miami won the game, but Atlanta’s starters absolutely trashed Miami’s starters. It was not a strong night for Chad Henne.
3. Falcons No. 3 quarterback John Parker Wilson and defensive tackle Trey Lewis both left with injuries.
Lions 34, Bengals 3
1. Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton’s first start wasn’t a total debacle, but the kid just wouldn’t go vertical.
2. A terrific performance by Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson won’t slow down the Lions hype train.
3. Surprise standouts in this one: Detroit’s offensive line. Stafford wasn’t touched.
Redskins 16, Steelers 7
1. Rex Grossman took the lead for the starting quarterback job with a solid performance. John Beck was out with a groin injury.
2. Fantasy alert: Tim Hightower looks locked into Washington’s starting gig at running back.
3. Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor may miss a lot of training camp after suffering a broken thumb.
4. Ben Roethlisberger left the game after one series and was shown getting ice applied to his throwing hand.
Bucs 25, Chiefs 0
1. Bucs quarterbacks Josh Freeman and Josh Johnson both looked very sharp behind a cohesive-looking offensive line.
2. The answer to the Tyler Palko vs. Ricky Stanzi backup quarterback battle in Kansas City might be “neither.”
Saints 24, 49ers 3
1. The Saints defense was in regular season form, thanks to coordinator Gregg Williams.
2. The 49ers quarterbacks and offensive line didn’t know what hit them. Both Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick were abused.
3. It was a promising night for running backs. Saints rookie Mark Ingram flashed his potential, while 49ers running back Frank Gore flashed his old burst.
Follow us on twitter @ToroTimes