Sep 21, 2014; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; Houston Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (10) makes a catch against New York Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara (20) at MetLife Stadium. The play was called back by a Texans penalty. Mandatory Credit: Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports
- 146 targets are up for grabs with Andre Johnson in Indianapolis. DeAndre Hopkins will be asked to take a large share of those and has the chance to receive top 10 NFL targets in his third pro season. Nuk Hopkins was more effeciecnt with his targets (caught a higher percentage, more yards, more touchdowns, and didn’t fumble as often). DeAndre Hopkins was better than Andre Johnson last year. Period.
- If DeAndre Hopkins receives 150 targets, a very feasible prediction, he can be a top 10 wide receiver in yards and receptions. He finished 12th in yards last year and the 25+ addition targets coming his way will vault him up to the top. DeAndre was already 8th in the NFL in yards per competition at 16 yards per catch. More impressively, only T.Y. Hilton had as many receptions as Nuk did on that list.
- Scoring was more difficult for DeAndre Hopkins. He only caught 6 touchdowns but this could skyrocket due to his insane play making ability. He will be asked to do more and the coaching staff is confident in his abilities. His average touchdown came from the 37 yard line. If he wants to score more often, he will need to establish himself in the Red Zone.
- Cecil Shorts is the default wide receiver starting opposite to DeAndre. Shorts is not a yardage machine like his counterpart. He averages 11 yards per catch and is better used in short passes because he doesn’t have the size to win downfield. He doesn’t score touchdowns either. He has 12 touchdowns in 50 games over his career. It is easy to point out that his quarterbacks in Jacksonville held him back, which is very true, but the Texans QB situation isn’t any better.
- The tight ends last year offered nothing to the offense. Ryan Griffin, Garrett Graham, and C.J. Fiedorowicz combined for 32/316/3 with 51 targets. Somebody will need to separate themselves and be effective in the passing game.